Some Delaware County Women Past and Present

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 1)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 1)

Description

[page 1]

[corresponds to front cover of Some Delaware County Women]

Some Delaware County Women

PAST and PRESENT

[illustration of woman]

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN

Delaware Branch

Delaware, Ohio

1976
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 2)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 2)

Description

[page 2]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 2 of Some Delaware County Women]

PREFACE

This booklet was published by the American

Association of University Women, Delaware Branch,

Delaware, Ohio, to give recognition to a few of the

women who have performed services to Delaware

County or have had an interesting profession or vo-

cation.

A WAY TO LIVE

We must not measure life by years,

but measure it in laughs and tears.

Measure life by the love we had,

and all the things that made us glad.

Measure happiness derived from giving.

A short life may be long with living.

-Lois Lehner
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 3)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 3)

Description

[page 3]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 3 of Some Delaware County Women]

Delaware Branch,

American Association of

University Women.

Delaware, Ohio.

[AAUW logo]

Copyright 1976
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 4)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 4)

Description

[page 4]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 4 of Some Delaware County Women]

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

This booklet was researched, copiled, and

edited by:

Barbara Basbagill

Lois Cross

Emma Dixon

Joan Dochinger

Sue Leidtke

Roberta Masters

Anita Persson

Pauline Urban

Mary Werkman

Elizabeth Shively, Chairman

Non AAUW members:

Esther Burrer, Sunbury

Virginia Crowl, Delaware

Mary Gabriel, Harlem Township

Elmo Hull, Concord

Doris Pierce, Berkshire

Art Work:

Ola Fligor
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 5)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 5)

Description

[page 5]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 5 of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 6)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 6)

Description

[page 6]

[corresponds to page 1 of Some Delaware County Women]

HELEN ALESHIRE (1905- ) Radnor

Former teacher; active in International

Peoples Organization; one of the founders

of the Senior Citizens Club in Delaware.

GRANDMOTHER ELIZABETH SLOCUM ARMSTRONG (1814-1897)

Moved to Ohio at 14, settled in Sunbury,

married on her 22nd birthday, lived in a

log cabin, had 16 children, only 6 lived.

She walked one mile to church; took her

washing to the banks of the Big Walnut

Creek 1 1/2 miles away, and home in time to

get supper. She took care of her child-

ren and managed the farm until the excite-

ment of 1849.

ELSIE E. ARNESON

Was chairman of first organizational

meeting of the League of Women Voters

in March 1948; an accomplished musician;

active in Music Club.

GEORGIE BROWN ALLEN

Active in the 1920's and 30's; owned a

shoe store which she ran; dealt in real

estate; was the first women to wear slacks

in downtown Delaware and also the first to

smoke cigarettes.

REBECCA HYDE AYE (1757-1845) Berkshire Twp.

Rebecca came to Delaware County in 1818;

married Jacob Aye in 1820; was excellent

weaver and won many prizes for her skill.

She was also a milliner. The first local

Methodist Church service was held in her

home in 1826.

1
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 7)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 7)

Description

[page 7]

[corresponds to page 2 of Some Delaware County Women]

MRS. A. BALDWIN - Kingston Township

Wrote When Grandmother was a Little Girl

in 1888.

MARY ELLEN BASBAGILL (1935- ) Delaware

Graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University 1957;

worked for ten years as Field Agent with

Internal Revenue Service in Columbus;

self-employed with brother in accounting

since 1969.

VERONICA BASBAGILL - Delaware

Born in Columbus; came to Delaware in 1929;

Housekeeper at St. Mary's Rectory for 30

years; organist for the Church; one of the

founders of the Women's City Club, and also

The Delaware League of Women Voters.

MABEL SHIPMEN BIRDSELL (1885-1973) Delaware

She had almost total recall, could read an

article and repeat it almost word for word.

When the Civil War Veterans became too

feeble to write their own minutes, they

made her secretary and honorary member of

the Grand Army of the Republic, the only

woman member in the United States, as

far as is known.

SHARON ELAINE PHILLIAN BLOCHER (1944- ) Delaware

Graduate of Hayes High School; Ohio State

Homecoming Queen; Miss Ohio in 1966; emceed

over 70 pageants; sang for President Nixon

in 1970.

2
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 8)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 8)

Description

[page 8]

[corresponds to page 3 of Some Delaware County Women]

RUTH BOARDMAN (1892-1971) Delaware City

A teacher for 50 years in Delaware County

and City; Principal of West School, later

named Boardman in her honor. Her services

to the community included membership in

ten clubs; both Ruth and Dorothea (her

sister) were dedicated teachers; both were

named "Honor Citizens of the Year" by the

Delaware Chamber of Commerce in 1959.

DOROTHY DILLENBECK BURRER (Mrs. Carlton S.)

For many years the Librarian in Sunbury,

Ohio, assisted with the Sesquicentennial,

1966; helpful advisor in this publisher.

MRS. BUSH - Troy Township

Mrs. Bush taught the first school in Troy

Township.

MARY CADWALADER - Delaware

Mary Cad, as she was called, had a millinery

and gift shop on West Winter Street in the

1920's and 30's. One of the women who made

hats for her was Eva Martin Shively. Myrtle

Runyan was a saleslady for Mary Cad for 37

years.

LUCY CARPENTER - Liberty Township

Lucy Carpenter was the first teacher in

Liberty Township three years after the

first settlement was made.

MRS. NATHAN CARPENTER - Liberty Township

First women to die in Delaware County in

1804.

3
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 9)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 9)

Description

[page 9]

[corresponds to page 4 of Some Delaware County Women]

SARAH CARPENTER (Brown) Liberty Township

Sarah Carpenter was married to John S. Brown

in 1812, the first marriage in Liberty Town-

ship.

JEAN CARPER - Oxford Township

Graduate of Ashley High School, Ohio Wesleyan

University, and Indiana U.M.A.; employed by

National Safety Council; editor of Safety

Magazine. Among her published books is a

Children's book, Little Turtle. Currently

she has a radio show in Washington, D.C.

ANNA CARPENTER - Radnor

Anna Carpenter was postmistress at Radnor

for 39 years, after being appointed by

President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Retired

in 1975.

JANE M. CASE (d. 1904) Delaware

Jane M. Case came to Delaware in 1888 and

left money in a will which was used for Jane

M. Case Hospital Inc., August 10, 1904. Name

later changed to Grady Memorial Hospital.

ELIZABETH COCHRAN - Scioto Valley

April 17, 1798 was the first marriage in

Scioto Valley. Elizabeth Cochran and

George Kilgore were wed. The ponies of

the attendants were hitched to the trees

along the streets which were not then

cleared out, nearly the whole town being

a wilderness.

SUZANNA COCHRAN - Thompson Township

Suzanna Cochran, born in 1817, was the first

white child born in Thompson Township.

4
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 10)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 10)

Description

[page 10]

[corresponds to page 5 of Some Delaware County Women]

GENEVIEVE WALLACE COLE (1900- ) Brown Twp.

Mrs. Cole's lifelong interest has been in

pioneer history and Indian artifacts. A

most valuable contribution to the Ohio

State Museum, among many others, is a

complete skeleton of a young Indian woman

which she and her children found in 1947.

The Marlboro Historical Society was organ-

ized in her home in 1947. It later became

the Delaware County Historical Society.

DOROTHY G. CONANT (Mrs. Sherman) Sunbury

Now in her second term as Delaware

County Recorder. She has four children.

MADGE CONKLIN (Mrs. Max)

First woman Treasurer of Delaware County.

She has four children and eight grandchildren.

PHOBE COOK - Berkshire Township

Phoebe Cook (Mrs. Henry S.) is reported

to have had the first rooming house and

the first iron.

HELEN M. CRANE (1889- ) Delaware

Graduated from Middlebury College in 1912;

Active in the Girl Scout Organization; both

a Troop and Girl Scout Council Area 4 are

named in her honor. Many Delaware people

will remember her riding her bicycle around

town before it was economically popular.

MABEL CRATTY (18? -1928) Delaware

In 1890 graduated from Ohio Wesleyan

University; in 1895, principal of Dela-

ware High School until 1904 when she became

General Secretary of the Y.W.C.A. "She

ministered to the needs of women both

spiritual and temporal, not only in America,

but in the world."

5
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 11)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 11)

Description

[page 11]

[corresponds to page 6 of Some Delaware County Women]

SARAH CRAWFORD (Mrs. James M.)

Served as matron of the Girls' Industrial

Home from 1884-1892.

K. BELLE CROWL (Mrs. Eldon C.) Berkshire

In 1975 Mrs. Crowl received a certificate

naming her as a qualified graphoanalyst,

one who is trained to identify personality

traits in people by using samples of hand-

writing for analysis purposes.

DR. ALICE BUTLER CROY - Delaware

She practiced medicine with her husband in

Delaware, Ohio in 1907.

MARILYN MOSELEY CRYDER (Mrs. George) (1931- )

Delaware

In 1974 named Chairperson of the Museum Com-

mittee of the Delaware County Historical

Society and, serving in the capacity of Act-

ing Director of the Museum, directed the

renovation of the Society's Museum (The

Nash House) and Annex; catalogued and pre-

pared for use by the public the memorabilia,

geneological and other printed materials among

the holdings. Since 1958 she has been actively

engaged in both family genealogical and his-

torical research. In cooperation with her

husband, has compiled and developed a number

of multi-media programs dealing with Delaware

County pictorical history.

LUELLA CURTIS (Mrs. Jack) (1922- ) Delaware

Luella Curtis started working as a volunteer

helper for the mentally retarded in 1957; now

is administrator and supervisor for the adult

program with 37 adults and three supervisors.

She became interested in this work because

6
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 12)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 12)

Description

[page 12]

[corresponds to page 7 of Some Delaware County Women]

her daughter was enrolled in the school.

Luella wanted to help her and others like

her to become as nearly normal as possible.

ADALINE DAVIS - Sunbury

Beginning in 1861, Adaline Davis served as

Postmistress for 32 consecutive years in

Sunbury. Lizzie kept her office in her

home. A bell on the desk brought the post-

mistress through the kitchen door along

with the aroma of what Mrs. Davis was

having for dinner.

MARIA DENTON - Berkshire Township

In 1810 Maria Denton taught in a log cabin

in the Galena area.

JOAN DOCHINGER (1931- ) Delaware

B.S. Cornell University, 1953; she was

the first woman to be elected to the

Delaware City Council and the first woman

vice-mayor of Delaware.

MARIE DONAVIN (18? - ) Delaware

Studied voice in Europe; in the 1890's

she sang at the Delaware Opera House where

Governor and Mr. William McKinley went to

the stage to compliment her. She also

sang at the White House when he was the

President.

COUNTESS NELLY LYTLE EULENBERG (1875) Delaware

A musician who studied in Germany were

she met and married Count Eulenburg in 1904.

7
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 13)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 13)

Description

[page 13]

[corresponds to page 8 of Some Delaware County Women]

WILMA EILBERT EVERETT (1900- ) Delaware

Graduated from Ohio State University in

1923 and came to Delaware in 1926; she

has served in the Hospital Auxiliary 15

years. She served on Sarah Moore Home

Board for 35 years and was President of

the Board, 1952-1973.

RUTH B. FIRESTONE

Born in Washington, PA; moved to Delaware

in 1947; graduated from Ohio Wesleyan Uni-

versity with a degree in Fine Art; further

study at Cincinnati University and American

University. Had a portrait business "Por-

traits in Pastel" in Washington, D.C., made

sketches and watercolors of African game with

animals during an African Safari in 1971;

had had exhibitions at the Corcoran Gallery,

Washington D.C., the Southern Hotel, Col-

umbus, and Magnuson's Gallery in Columbus,

Ohio. Ruth opened Up the Downstairs Gallery

and Studio in Delaware in 1974.

LOUISE FISSEL (1913- ) Galena

She worked for 36 years as a 4-H leader,

beginning in 1935 she served as Galena

Treasurer for 14 years, and is presently

Treasurer of Galena. Keeps score for the

Galena Slow Pitch League which is com-

posed of 20 teams, playing five nights a

week.

JOYCE FLEMING (1943- ) Brown Township

A native of Delaware County; graduated from

Ohio Wesleyan University; enrolled in an

accelerated program at the University of

California at Berkeley where she received

a Ph D degree in Behavioral Psychology; be-

came Managing Editor of the magazine Psych-

ology Today.

8
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 14)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 14)

Description

[page 14]

[corresponds to page 9 of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 15)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 15)

Description

[page 15]

[corresponds to page 10 of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 16)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 16)

Description

[page 16]

[corresponds to page 11 of Some Delaware County Women]

JOYCE FLEMING (continued)

Edited Barbara Brown's new bio-feedback book,

New Mind, New Body; was recently given a

national journalistic award from the American

Association of Psychologists for bettering

people's understanding of psychology.

NANCY FRANKENBERG

Her school was Ohio State University; moved

to Delaware County in 1953; Executive Director

of United Way. Community organization is her

area of concern, for she is actively involved

in 14 committees and boards. Was honored as

Woman of the Year in 1975 by Gamma Mu Chapter

of Beta Sigma Phi in observing International

Women's Year.

CELIA MILLER FRANK (1897- ) Delaware City

Came to Delaware in 1919; first President of

the Women's Auxiliary of the Chamber of Com-

merce which raised money for downtown Christ-

mas Decorations; member Sarah Moore Home Board

for forty years; one of the founders of the

Women's City Club; worked for Volunteer Home

Service Committee of the Red Cross during

World War II; named to Mayor's Downtown Im-

provement Committee. In 1972 she was honored

for collecting the most money in her neigh-

borhood in that year's United Way Campaign.

SARAH McPHERSON RISHER GETTY - Troy Township

Sarah Risher, born in Troy Township in 1853,

was a school teacher who married Paul Getty

(billionaire) in 1879.

KATHERINE CHARRITY Delaware

Katherine Gharrity, assisted by a competent

staff of volunteers offers 24-hour phone

service to those in trouble. Help Anonymous

11
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 17)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 17)

Description

[page 17]

[corresponds to page 12 of Some Delaware County Women]

KATHERINE GHARRITY (continued)

was organized by four Delaware ladies with

the help of Father John Stattmiller in 1971.

The four ladies were: Mary Ann Keefer,

Georgia Parker, Pat Silleck, and Jean Strohm.

ROSALIE GLOVER (1946- ) Delaware

The Reverend Glover is a minister of the

Delaware Presbyterian Church; graduate of

Florida State University and Pittsburgh

Theological Seminary; came to Delaware in

1973. Through her wok in the Church she

serves the needs of the community.

MRS. EMMA CHAMBERLAIN GRIFFITH (1866- ?) Delaware

She was one of the best known and highly

esteemed residents of Delaware Township,

living on a 500-acre farm and managing it

herself.

ZELDA WHEATLY HAHNERT (1907- ) Delaware

She came to Delaware from Indiana in 1934;

helped to reorganize the Cub Scouts in 1936;

She was secretary and president of the Dela-

ware County Historical Society and director of

the Museum from 1954-1974. She and Stella

Breece worked very hard to prepare the museum

for its opening in May, 1955. She works zeal-

ously for the Delaware Women's City Club.

She is listed in Who's Who in American Woman

and Who's Who in the Mid-West.

DR. HELEN KAULBACH SMITH HALSEY (1865- ) Delaware

She came from New York to Delaware in 1893

and was the first lady physician in the

county for about 10 years. In 1904 she

married Mr. W. H. Halsey and moved back

to New York.

12
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 18)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 18)

Description

[page 18]

[corresponds to page 13 of Some Delaware County Women]

LUCY WEBB HAYES (1831-1889) Delaware

The family came to Delaware from Chillicothe

in 1844. Rutherford and Lucy were married in

1852. While in the White House she refused

to compromise her beliefs and would not serve

liquor much to the dismay of the foreign states-

men. She became known as "Lemonade Lucy".

Mrs. Hayes was the first President of the Home

Missionary Society of the Methodist Church,

organized in 1880. She held the office until

her death in 1889.

SOPHIA RICHARD HAYES (early 1800's) Delaware

The year her son Rutherford was born, 1922,

her husband died. Sophia Hayes owned 124

acres, valued at $680 in 1826.

ELIZABETH HEATH Oxford Township

She taught the first school in the town of

Oxford, later called Ashley.

JUDITH KIDD HELD, M.D. (Mrs. Francis) Delaware

In 1970 she began the practice of internal

medicine and cardiology in Delaware. Her

home was originally in Colorado. She grad-

uated from The Ohio State University College

of Medicine. Locally, she is active in the

Delaware County Heart Association and has

helped train paramedics for the emergency

squad.

JANET GEPHARD HICKMAN (1940- ) Brown Township

Native of Delaware County; earned B.S. and

Master's degrees at Ohio State University

with honors. She is currently working with

Dr. Charlotte Huck revising her Children's

Literature textbook, published in 1974 by

13
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 19)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 19)

Description

[page 19]

[corresponds to page 14 of Some Delaware County Women]

JANET GEPHARD HICKMAN (continued)

McMillan. The Valley of the Shadow is a

Children's book by Janet Hickman and is

concerned with the Moravian Massacre at

Gnadenhutten. This book has been placed

on both the Notable Books for Social Studies

and the Ohio Reading Circle List for 1974-

1975.

MRS. ELMER HILLS Delaware

Mrs. Hills was the leading spirit in the

movement to establish the Home for the

Aged. Mr. Hills provided a home on North

Franklin Street, which in 1892 opened its

doors to three genteel ladies from the

County Infirmary.

MISS JOAN HILLS (Mr. Richard Murray) Berkshire Twp.

She taught in Berkshire in 1824-25 and in

Delaware in 1826-27 with her husband. After

her husband's death in 1833 she resumed

teaching until 1868, about 35 years. Most

of her teaching was in her private home on

North Franklin Street.

SARAH HOSKINS - Scioto Township

Sarah Hoskins and Robert Perry were married

in 1808 by the Rev. Mr. Cloud, who came up

from Columbus. This was the first marriage

in Scioto Township.

MISS CORA HUDDLESTON (1930's) Berkshire Township

Miss Cora Huddleston was the only female

Charter Member of the Sunbury Methodist

Church, organized in 1937.

14
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 20)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 20)

Description

[page 20]

[corresponds to page 15 of Some Delaware County Women]

MILLIE HUMES - Brown Township

A transplanted Texan, she is responsible

for "Home Maker Tours"-organized as a

community service with no personal pro-

fit; for 35 years she has been a 4-H

Club leader. She is registrar for the

East Ohio Conference of the Methodist

Church Reach Out Session at Lakeside,

Camp Wesley and Mt. Union.

BESS ECHOLS HUMPHRIES (1899-1972) Delaware

She came to Delaware in 1934. After her

husband's death in 1941, she took over the

Ford Motor Agency in Delaware and managed

it for 32 years. She learned through ex-

perience to run a successful business. She

was publicly recognized by the Ford Motor

Co. and The National Business Magazine.

A special honor was bestowed upon her by

the Delaware Chamber of Commerce as a dis-

tinguished business woman.

SALLIE THOMPSON HUMPHEREYS - Delaware

Miss Humphreys did her first course work

in 1905-06. In 1907 she was named Director

of the School of Fine Art at Ohio Wesleyan

University. Her special field was decora-

tive design and oil painting. Humphreys

Art Hall on the Ohio Wesleyan Campus is

named for her.

LETTA ROBERSON HUTCHINSON (1898- ) Ashley

Came to Ohio from Illinois in 1931; taught

in elementary and secondary Schools. Re-

turned to Ashley to become first Director

of Women's Activities for Ohio Farm Bureau

Federation from 1945 until retirement in

1963. After retirement she went to India

15
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 21)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 21)

Description

[page 21]

[corresponds to page 16 of Some Delaware County Women]

LETTA ROBERSON HUTCHINSON (continued)

as a volunteer to work in villages to im-

prove health conditions. After several

years in India, she returned home and in

1968 joined VISTA, working with the poor

in Arkansas and Texas. In 1972 she was

active in the drive for funds to build

Ashley Villa, a Senior Citizen Complex

in Ashley.

HANNAH JAMES (early 1700's) Berlin Township

Hannah James was captured by the Indians

May 13, 1704. Two of her children were

killed and she and her infant were car-

ried away. The baby dashed against the

doorpost to free the captive mother of

the burden that would impede travel.

The Indians decided to scalp her to

avoid being overtaken by white avengers.

She was then knocked in head and scalped

and left for dead. She was found later

by whites sitting up and stroking the

blood on her forehead. With much care,

she recovered and lived to be over 80

and had descendents more numerous than

any of the others in the James family.

ANNE JONES (Mrs. Bern) Delaware

She was the first person to have an out-

side lighted Christmas tree in Delaware.

DOROTHY SMITH JONES (1918- ) Delaware

Born in Marion, Ohio, she came to Delaware

in 1928. She first worked in Jane Case

Hospital and was supervising nurse in

charge of the Delaware TB Sanitarium

housed in the old Osteopathic Hospital.

She served as a Public Health Nurse from

16
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 22)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 22)

Description

[page 22]

[corresponds to page 17 of Some Delaware County Women]

DOROTHY SMITH JONES (continued)

1940-1974. She works in eight com-

munity boards, committees, and clubs.

BRONWEN HARRIS KETTERING (1885- ) Delaware

She was the first woman to be elected to

public office in Delaware County. She was

Clerk of Courts in 1923 and served two two-

year terms. She was the daughter of the

Reverend Harris, minister at Radnor.

PATRICIA KIRTLAND (1942- ) Delaware

Born in Marion, Ohio; moved to Delaware

in 1950; attended Ohio State (Engineering

School) for three years. She has been

active in the National League of Women

Voters since she joined in 1966, as well

as in Delaware Community Chorus and Dela-

ware Heritage Society; she has designed

needlework hangings for several Ohio

churches. In 1971 she opened the Yarn

Barn, which she continues to operate.

MRS. KIMBALL (Berkshire)

Mrs. Kimball, the banker's wife in Sun-

bury, already having the finest gas light-

ing then available, had electricity in-

stalled just to run her water pump.

MARY K. KUHN, M.D. (Mrs. Eugene) Ashley

She began a general practice of medicine

in the 1950's. She graduated from the Univer-

sity of Kansas.

EVELYN LAUER R. Ph. Delaware

Operated the pharmacy at the Northwest

corner of William & Sandusky Streets

in the 1950's and 1960's.

17
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 23)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 23)

Description

[page 23]

[corresponds to page 18 of Some Delaware County Women]

FORREST MAIN LAWRENCE (1895- ) Delaware

Became Children's Librarian because of the

influence of her father, H. T. Main, Super-

intendent of Delaware County Schools. In

1947 she took boxes of books to the county

schools in her own car. She worked four

summers at the University of Kentucky for

her Library of Science Degree which she

received in 1951, the first Delaware lib-

rarian to have that degree. For a while

the county loaned a truck and driver to

transport books. Mrs. Lawrence taught,

on her own time, teachers and high school

students how to set up libraries. Mrs.

Lawrence's special interest now is paint-

ing beautiful water colors.

LOIS LEHNER ( ) Delaware

Teacher in Delaware County for 18 years;

active in speech work; won trophy in Ohio

High School Speech League in 1961-1962

with students from Elm Valley High School.

Forced into early retirement by ill health,

Lois published three books of poetry: A

Poen or Two for Everyone (1965); A Song

of the Farmer and Other Poems (1966); A

Third Book of Poems (1970); has had many

articles published in 13 different maga-

zines. She has had a book published on

Ohio Glass factories and potteries in

1976.

MARY LEMMON (early Delaware, 1900)

She was pastor of the United Brethern

Church on Eaton Street in 1908.

MRS. MAXINE PERFECT LINK (early 1900) Sunbury

Mrs. Link played for the silent movies in

Sunbury around 1915.

18
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 24)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 24)

Description

[page 24]

[corresponds to page 19 of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]

19
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 25)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 25)

Description

[page 25]

[corresponds to page 20 of Some Delaware County Women]

MARGARET HESSNAUER LOWE (1911- ) Delaware

Margaret is intensely interested in help-

ing both people and animals. From 1953

until her retirement in 1973 she was con-

nected with the Red Cross as treasurer,

assistant director, and acting director

during eight months of Miss Seaman's ill-

ness. She was "loaned" to the United

Appeals from 1967-60 to help with the

fund raising campaign.

HANNAH COLE MAIN (? -1824) Troy Township

Married in Putnam County, New York in 1780,

had 11 children, 2 daughters and 7 sons;

came with her to Ohio after she was wid-

owed. Two sons came ahead of her with the

Cole family. All were here before the

War of 1812. Descendant of the Mayflower.

She filed a will in Ohio, which was un-

usual for those times - 1824.

JULIA MANN (1841- ) Harlem Township

She was active member of the Methodist

Church and took care of local people.

HELEN MARTIN (1896- ) Delaware

After moving to Delaware in 1922, she

did volunteer service at Jane Case

Hospital for 25 years; received a 50-

year service pin for her voluntary work

for the Red Cross Blood Mobile.

JANE MATHER - Orange Township

In 1815 Jane Mather, daughter of an

early settler and wodow of a soldier

of 1812, opened a school in the cabin

of John Wimsett on the State road.

20
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 26)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 26)

Description

[page 26]

[corresponds to page 21 of Some Delaware County Women]

OPAL McALISTER (1904- )

She came to this area in 1947, having

served as a WAC Captain who helped estab-

lish the first WAC training center in Georgia;

in 1945 she helped feed civilians and POW'S

from Italy. Although born and raised in

Marysville, her community service has been

in Delaware County, where she has devoted

much time and energy to Ostrander. She

has been named "Mrs. Ostrander".

MRS. LORENZO DOW McCABE (Delaware)

Mrs. McCabe organized the National Womens

Christian Temperance Union October 4, 1874

in William Street Church and was the first

national president.

MYRTLE McKINNIE (1895- )

First lady elder in Delaware Presby-

terian Church; was interested in youth

and youth activities; shed tears over

youths brought in to the county jail

when her husband was sheriff. Served

as matron of the Delaware County Child-

ren's home for 12 years; she organized

group meetings to rease money for free

milk for indigent children in public

schools of Delaware.

ELIZABETH CARPENTER McLEAN (Berkshire Township)

Wife of Charles Carpenter (1800-1826);

she owned 206 acres with a house in

Berkshire Township and, also, five

lots in Galena.

MARY ELLEN MILLER (Mrs. Russell W.) Sunbury

Has been a volunteer with the Delaware

County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

21
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 27)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 27)

Description

[page 27]

[corresponds to page 22 of Some Delaware County Women]

MARY ELLEN MILLER (continued)

Instrumental in starting a Blood-

mobile in Sunbury.

DR. M. MAY MILLS (1875-1951) Delaware

Graduated from Ostrander High School,

Attended Ohio Starling Medical School

of Dentistry and began practice in

Delaware in 1898, the first and only

woman dentist in Delaware; her prac-

tice spanned fifty years.

CLARA MOIST- Delaware

Came to Delaware in 1904; served fifty

years on the Sarah Moore Home Board;

has given her service in many community

activities. Charter member of Delaware

League of Women Voters.

MARY MONNETT (Mrs. John W. Bain) (1833-1885)

Mary Monnett- while a student at Ohio

Wesleyan Female College, gave the last

$10,000 to reach a goal of $20,000, the

cost of the new building, Monnett Hall,

named in her honor.

SARAH MOORE (Mrs. Sidney) Delaware

In 1901, a 99 year lease of a home at

47 E. William Street was given in the

name of Sarah Moore, with the privilege

of purchasing it for $2,000. It was

later called The Sarah Moore Home; serves

as a residence for retired women.

LEANNA MORRISON - Delaware

In 1967, she was elected President of

the Children's Home board and has worked

22
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 28)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 28)

Description

[page 28]

[corresponds to page 23 of Some Delaware County Women]

LEANNA MORRISON (continued)

indefatigably for the Home. Local Kiwanis

in a fund-raising drive netted $212,000

for two new cottages. Other bequests

and benefits enabled the Home Board to

pay off a $47,000 debt June, 1975. To-

day she serves as Director of the Home as

well as adult friend of the twenty children

living there.

PAULINE NASH (1895-1975) Delaware

After giving her home on an annuity basis

for the Delaware Historical Museum in 1954,

gave her father's gun collection and Indian

relics, articles from the home of Mrs. Ruth-

erford B. Hayes, and articles from the Old

City Hall to the museum. She was first

Gray Lady of the Red Cross in Delaware

County; gave thousands of hours of volun-

teer service both to the local chapter

and the Chillicothe Veterans' Hospital;

she was named Woman of the Year for Dela-

ware County in 1950 and at the time was

called "the county's No. 1 volunteer".

CLARA ALBERTINE NELSON ( - 1931) Delaware

Received a Mistress of Liberal Arts Degree

from the Ohio Wesleyan Female College in

1872. (M.L.A. degree was awarded those

who took the classical course.) Received

B.A. and M.A. degrees from Ohio Wesleyan

University; studied in Germany 1975; studied

in Paris 1895; named instructor in French

at Ohio Wesleyan in 1890; promoted to full

professor in 1896 and held that rank until

her death in 1931.

MISS NIDY - Scioto Township

Taught in Scioto in an abandoned cattle

shed.

23
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 29)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 29)

Description

[page 29]

[corresponds to page 24 of Some Delaware County Women]

HELEN COLLINS OWEN (1894- ) Liberty Twp.

Graduated in 1915 from Protestant Hospital

(now called Riverside) in Columbus; was

among the first 500 registered nurses in

the state of Ohio; was the first woman to

serve overseas from Delaware County in

World War I; served as army nurse with

Base Hospital 40 E.F. from Lexington,

Kentucky. Later became the first perm-

anent Welfare Director of Delaware County

until she retired in 1961. She paints in

oils and has a preference for bridges.

ANNA SMITH PABST (1891- ) Delaware

B.A. Ohio Wesleyan University, 1920;

graduate work at Columbia and Ohio

State Historian; published eight books

on the history of Berlin Township; author

of 16 publications of local, state, and

national interest in history and geneology.

MESISSA PARKS (Middle 1800's) Kingston Twp.

She taught children at the County Infirm-

ary; Mined gold in the Alaska gold rush

of 1856.

ANNA WILLIAMS PATTISON (1858- ?) Delaware

Born two years before the Civil War; mem-

ber of the first Ohio Wesleyan University

graduating class which included women in

1880; was First Lady of the State in 1906.

ERNESTINE HUTCHISSON PEEBLES (Mrs. W. F.)

Delaware

Graduated from Ohio Wesleyan in

1941 with a B.A. and a B.M. She has

been organist and choir director, minis-

ter of music at the Presbyterian Church in

Delaware for more than 25 years.

24
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 30)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 30)

Description

[page 30]

[corresponds to page 25 of Some Delaware County Women]

BESSIE RYANT PERFECT - Berkshire Township

One of the early teachers in Berkshire;

thought to have given money for a child-

ren's library in Sunbury.

DR. MARIE PERFECT (1874- ) Delaware

Practiced medicine in Delaware in 1901.

MRS. HARRIETT L. PITTMAN - Delaware

In 1975 Mrs. Harriett L. Pittman was

honored for her 35 years' service as

a 4-H advisor.

NELLIE PRATT - Delaware

Nellie Pratt served as Delaware's first

Librarian, 1905-1915. The library was

built in 1905.

MRS. PRINCE - Berkshire

Mrs. Prince sent someone 2 1/2 miles for a

needle she had left the day before.

RUBY BOKOVEN CASE PUGH (1896- ) Radnor

Graduated from Ohio Wesleyan in 1919;

during the depression she passed out

clothing to the needy in Radnor Town-

ship; she gave a doll collection, farm

tools, farm implements, antiques, and

scrapbooks to the Nash Museum; compiled

names and locations of covered bridges

in Delaware County; wrote pamphlets of

Bible records of Delaware County pioneer

families and presented them to the Dela-

ware Library; she wrote three accounts

of Delaware County 49'ers and listings

of Revolutionary War Soldiers of Dela-

ware County which were presented to all

25
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 31)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 31)

Description

[page 31]

[corresponds to page 26 of Some Delaware County Women]

RUBY BOCKOVEN CASE PUGH (continued)

the schools in the County and to

Ashley, Delaware, and Sunbury

libraries.

MRS. HELEN REED (1915- ) Delaware

Named "Honor Citizen" by Delaware

Chamber of Commerce in 1975; she

came to Delaware from Columbus,

graduate of Hio State University,

organized and trained a volunteer

home service unit for the Delaware

County Red Cross. In the 1950's

she was education editor and school

page editor of The Delaware Gazette.

In 1957 she joined the Willis High

School faculty as an English and

Journalism teacher; she taught un-

til 1972 shen illness forced her

retirement. Mrs. Reed returned

to community service as training

coordinator for the newly formed

Homemaker Health Aid Service in

1973.

HELEN RICHARDS (1912- ) Delaware

First Chairman and organizer of Meals

on Wheels; first meals served Novem-

ber 15, 1971.

DR. IVANDALE ROGERS (1861- ) Delaware

The second lady to practice medicine

in Delaware beginning in 1898.

DR. EVA ROLOSON - Delaware

Dr. Eva Roloson started her practice

of medicine in Delaware about 1925.

26
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 32)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 32)

Description

[page 32]

[corresponds to page 27 of Some Delaware County Women]

FLORENCE LeDOYT RYANT - Berlin

She served in the Civil War from 1861-65;

marched with General Sherman from Atlanta

to the sea; born in first brick house in

Cheshire.

LENORA ISADORE RYANT - Berlin Twonship

Lenora Ryant was the instigator of the

Decoration Day services which for so

many years have been a memorial to the

soldier dead lying in the Cheshire ceme-

tary.

MILDRED SCHANCK (1986-1972) Orange Township

Verse writer with poems published in

Verse of Today column in Columbus Dis-

patch. Cartoonist with her cartoons in

The Passing Show page of the Columbus

Dispatch. Member of the National Associ-

ation of Authors and Journalists founded

to perpetuate the name of Eugene Fields,

a Delawarean.

DR. MIRANDA SCHEBLE (1833-1901) Ashley

She was 50 years old when she began the

study of medicine; graduated from the

Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital and

practiced medicine for 20 years in

Ashley.

RUTH G. SCOTT - Delaware

She has been the Clerk of Courts in

Delaware County since 1957.

SARAH LOUISE SEDGWICK (1865-1954) Sunbury

Wrote an early history of the village of

Sunbury, printed by Sunbury News in

1951.

27
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 33)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 33)

Description

[page 33]

[corresponds to page 28 of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]

28
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 34)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 34)

Description

[page 34]

[corresponds to page 29 of Some Delaware County Women]

ABIGAIL SEMANS (1910-1973) Delaware

Became the first paid Executive Director

of the Delaware County Red Cross in 1945,

developing it into one of the finest small

county chapters in the nation. Developed

the blood program, formed the first campus

unit of the Red Cross at Ohio Wesleyan Uni-

versity in 1946; was a pioneer in music

and recreational therapy in VA hospitals;

(a native Delawarean, she graduated from

OWU in 1927 and was in swimming and small

craft boating;) the first to develop a

local Water Safety Program.

MAYME MILLER SHOEMAKER (1890- ) Delaware

She came to Delaware in 1940; graduated

from Ohio Wesleyan University in Music

and Liberal Arts and won the Slocum

prize in music. For 20 years held a

real estate broker's license. She was

the first president of Altrusa, organ-

ized in 1950; she was the founder of

the Women's City Club; a musician.

FLOSSIE COLWELL SKEELS (1905- ) Liberty Twp.

She came to Delaware in 1929. In 1947

she joined the Seventh Day Adventist

Church and began her volunteer work of

distributing clothing, furniture, and

dishes to the needy of Delaware County,

averaging ten families a week.

FLORENCE SPAULDING HARTER SMITH (1895- ) Delaware

First and only woman superintendent of a

Delaware County school; she was superin-

tendent at Bellpoint from 1924-27; She

graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University.

29
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 35)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 35)

Description

[page 35]

[corresponds to page 30 of Some Delaware County Women]

LT. COLONEL VEA JO SMITH - Ashley

At 21, enlisted in the Marines and two

years later went to Officers' Training

School where she began a series of firsts

in the Marine Corps. She was awarded a

Meritorious Service Medal in 1967 was

included in Outstanding Women of America.

In 1969 she was included in the National

Register of Prominent Americans. In 1972

she was promoted to Lt. Colonel.

BONNIE SOPKO (Mrs. Lawrence E.) (1943) Delaware

Graduate of Ohio State University; ser-

ving a second term as co-president for

the Council for Retarded Citizens in

Delaware County; she also served as

chairman of the levy campaign for a new

school for the Retarded Citizens in Dela-

ware County, which passed.

GLOVENOR STEELE (1890-1970) Delaware

She had a fourth grade education, but con-

tinued her education by reading the Bible.

Her desire for an education was partially

fulfileld when her grand-daughter, Rons-

valle Barclay, at the age of 40, graduated

from colelge and became a counselor in the

Dayton Public Schools. Mrs. Steele worked

at Liberty Community Center for 35 and organ-

ized the Community Bible School. Although

she lived on Social Security, she always

found something to comfort someone in need.

People called her "The Walking Angel". On

one occasion the Mayor of Cleveland pre-

sented her an award for oustanding ser-

vice in promoting good will and brother-

hood in Delaware.

30
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 36)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 36)

Description

[page 36]

[corresponds to page 31 of Some Delaware County Women]

MISS ELIZA STRING - Kingston

The first school ma'am who taught in a

small house known as the "Curtis" School-

house located on the Curtis farm.

DELIGHT SWEETSER - Berkshire Township

In 1826 she owned 124 acres and a home

valued at $1,380 in her own name, which

was unusual for a woman in those days.

SUSANNAH MACOMBER THOMAS (1837-1813) Concord Twp.

Sometime after her marriage in 1858, the

family and dog made a trip to Kansas in

a covered wagon to look for land for home-

steading. Because of the wind which never

stopped blowing, they returned to Ohio.

On the way back, they were stopped by a

band of Union Cavalrymen. When Susie

stood on the seat of the wagon and shouted,

"Hurrah for Lincoln and the Union." the men

saluted and rode off. Anyone in need of

love and comfort was welcome in her home.

Many times when the snow was deep and

little children were walking home from

school, she would keep the little ones

overnight, sending work home with an

older sister of their whereabouts. At

Christmas there was always a basket for a

poor family with warm mittens for the

little ones which she knit as she read her

Bible.

MRS. ABRAM THOMSON - Delaware

Mrs. Thomson was asked by a group of women

on October 19, 1881 to organize a Child-

ren's Home. She was president of the group

and worked many years for this project.

31
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 37)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 37)

Description

[page 37]

[corresponds to page 32 of Some Delaware County Women]

MISS ELIZA THOMPSON (afterwards Mrs. William Carson)

Began her teaching in Genoa Township; was

the first lady who taught a district school

in Delaware. Among her pupils were Ruther-

ford B. Hayes and his sister Fannie.

BARONESS VIOLA LYTLE von UCHTRITZ (1875- ?) Delaware

Viola Lytle graduated from Ohio Wesleyan

University in 1894; accomplished musician

on piano, harp, viola, and cymbals; she

traveled to Berlin, Germany with a chap-

eron and there met and married the wealthy

Baron Edgar von uchtritz in 1895.

MARGARET MAIN VELEY (1793- ?) Troy Township

Come to Ohio in 1815. In 1830 she married

Peter Veley. After her husband's death in

1839 she assumed control of a 206-acre farm

and many improvements marked her management.

DAISY SPERRY BURRER VAN HORN - Sunbury

A graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University,

she took graduate work at Denison; she

gave private piano lessons for many years

and was organist at the Baptist Church in

Sunbury for 50 years. Also she worked for

many years at the Sunbury Electric Shop.

MAMIE SMITH WATSON - Delaware

Came to Delaware at the age of four. About

1920 she became interested in the rehabili-

tation of prisoners. She has spent much time

energy, and money in helping these men make

a place for themselves in their communities.

32
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 38)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 38)

Description

[page 38]

[corresponds to page 33 of Some Delaware County Women]

ZUELLA WAY (1903-1958) Delaware

Founder, promoter, and first president of

the Delaware Women's City Club. After her

death, her husband gave money to finish pay-

ing for the house. Members must keep it up.

The Club is a home for young business girls,

as well as a meeting place for many differ-

ent women's clubs in town. She was also

very involved in the Delaware Mental Health

Association.

DR. LUELLA D. WELCH (1863-1935) Ashley

Born and reared in Ashley, she married

Rodney Welch and had two sons. Inful-

enced by the death of one of her sons,

began in 1891 the study of medicine with

Dr. Foster of Olive Green. She attended

Wooster Medical School and Toledo Medical

School, graduating in 1894. She practiced

medicine in Ashley, until her death in

1935.

VIRGINIA WETMORE (1919- ) Delaware

Organizer of Delaware Literacy Council

"Each One Teach One" in 1971; teaching

method founded by Dr. Laubach and edited

in 40 languages. This council teaches

adults and foreigners.

JACQUELINE WHETSTONE - Concord Township

Graduated from Ohio State University

in 1949. In 1971 she was named first

woman superintendent of Scioto Village

(formerly called Girls Industrial

School) where she started in 1951 as

a cottage supervisor and worked vari-

ous departments until 1969 when she

was named Deputy Superintendent.

33
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 39)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 39)

Description

[page 39]

[corresponds to page 34 of Some Delaware County Women]

MISS ALICE WHITTIER (1872-1945) Berlin Township

A nurse trained at the Methodist Hospital in

Philadelphia, she spent five years in China.

In 1916 she opened the Delaware Health and Wel-

fare League which gave the first public

health service, inaugurated programs of in-

noculation which cut tuberculosis almost in

half, made typhoid cases rare, diptheria

practically disappeared. Mother and baby

care was taught; public health cases were

conducted and mother and baby classes were

held. Also, she taught First-Aid classes

in public health. She was truly a pioneer.

MARION DUNCAN WHITNEY (Mrs. William) Sunbury

Graduate of Denison University, past Editor

of Sunbury News. In 1966 was on the Execu-

tive Committee of the Sesquicentennial Re-

search and Publicity Committees for the

Sesquicentennial in Sunbury.

MARINDA ROSE WICKHAM (1911- ) Delaware

Was an early pilot (may be first) in

Delaware County; served as airport con-

troller in St. Louis, Missouri, during

the Second World War.

JEAN WICKUM - Delaware

Came to Delaware in 1959 from Pennsylvania;

served as a WAC in World War II. In Novem-

ver, 1961, became Executive Director of

Delaware Countu Mental Health Association,

then, a part-time position. Now in a 24-

hour a day job, she also serves on seven

boards and commissions in the County.

MISS ELECTRA WILCOX - Troy Township

Was the first teacher in Troy Township

in 1814.

34
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 40)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 40)

Description

[page 40]

[corresponds to page 35 of Some Delaware County Women]

ALLIE DUSTIN WILLIS (1873-1956) Galena

Was the high school sweetheart of Frank

B. Willis, whom she married in 1894, First

Lady of Ohio 1915-17, and Senator's wife,

an honor member of Women's Escort for

President Wilson and his wife when they

visited Cleveland; A trustee of Ohio

Northern University 1928-56; An accom-

plished musician.

HELEN WILLIS (1896- ) Delaware

Daughter of Senator Frank B. Willis; gradu-

ate of Ohio Wesleyan In Music; M.A.;

taught at Ohio Northern University 1925-

28; employed as researcher at the Library

of Congress in Washington 1933-39. She

has had a long service with the Salvation

Army and now makes comforters and dresses

dolls. Willis Lodge at Greenwood Lake

Camp in Delaware was built and named in

her honor.

PHYLLIS WILLIAMSON - Delaware

Phyllis Williamson and Pauline Reed in

1960 opened the Suburban Shoppe in Troy

Road Shopping Center. It is one of Dela-

war's few businesses owned and operated

entirely by women. This shop is now

owned by Mrs. Reed.

LAURA ALICE WOODWARD (1863-1945) Delaware

Attended Ohio Wesleyan and Ohio State

Universities; principal of South School,

now torn down; the new school named Wood-

ward for her; during her tenure from 1902-

1923 she never allowed children to be em-

barrassed for lack of clothes; greatly

concerned for her pupils and the community,

she was dubbed "The Bishop of the South

35
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 41)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 41)

Description

[page 41]

[corresponds to page 36 of Some Delaware County Women]

LAURA ALICE WOODWARD (continued)

End"; organized sewing groups for girls

and mothers, with classes held in the

basement of the Public Library. She en-

couraged girls to maintain healthful

homes.

MARY ELIZABETH MABEL PFLUEGER WURM (1895- )

Harlem Township

Attended Otterbein University, a teacher,

she organized community clubs where plays,

skits, songs, dances, and programs were

held. She was secretary of Farmers' Insti-

tute which was held for two days and had

charge of securing speakers and providing

entertainment. Became a charter member of

Harlem Grange in 1940. In 1938, she was

left a widow with eight children. Her

tradition of selflessness will be with

Harlem Township for many years to come.

36
Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 42)

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present (p. 42)

Description

[page 42]

[corresponds to back cover of Some Delaware County Women]

[illustration of woman]

Dublin Core

Title

Some Delaware County Women Past and Present

Subject

Delaware--Delaware County--Ohio
Delaware--Delaware County--Ohio--History
Women--History--Delaware County--Ohio

Description

This brochure contains biographical information about notable women in Delaware County from its earliest settlers to the mid 1970s.

Creator

American Association of University Women; Delaware Branch, Delaware, Ohio

Date

1976

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/

Format

Typed Paper

Language

English

Type

Still Image
Text

Identifier

22221040

Collection

Citation

American Association of University Women; Delaware Branch, Delaware, Ohio, “Some Delaware County Women Past and Present,” Delaware County Memory, accessed September 27, 2021, http://delawarecountymemory.org/items/show/206.

Output Formats